When I'm busy working on someone's hair, I'm in my laundry room. In fact, we refer to it as 'my hair room' instead of the laundry room. I love that it has a door and a big window so I don't feel like I'm in a cave when I'm working. Major bonus. It's definitely not a perfect 'in home salon' but the room works and it works well most of the time. Unfortunately when I'm busy with hair appointments, I get behind on my laundry. Sometimes way behind. The hair business waxes and wanes by the week so you never know when your kids are going to be out of underwear and/or socks, ha. This is not a job
I can have help with unless I'm sending the clothes out because I can't
have the laundry going while I'm working (Kat always offers to do it
for me). It's too loud and way too hot in my small room. Last week I worked quite a bit and was starting to hear complaints about no underwear or shorts or short sleeved shirts, etc. Most of the time I manage to work it out but this week, I was definitely behind on the laundry.
Here's the 1st thing- the clothes were clean (hiding from the public in my bedroom), they just weren't folded and put away in everyone's dressers. Yesterday I pushed the laundry through and was going to have a marathon folding session after everyone went to bed. I stared to dread that pile as it grew throughout the day and by the afternoon, I felt very overwhelmed. I had the thought to have the kids help me fold it for FHE and dismissed it because I didn't want to fight with them over it. But I had the thought again and after dinner, I told them the plan. Attack the laundry pile together. I told them I needed their help and used ice cream as an incentive. Extra big ice cream sundaes when we finished. Guess what? No groans.
Here's the 2nd thing- I have AMAZING kids. They each took a small pile of clothes and moved it into their own little corner and folded every single piece of clothing in the pile. Socks included. We sang some songs, we laughed, we encouraged (Dane ate this activity up, he was our cheerleader), we fought Owen off of our piles, we let Reed fold all the washcloths and we worked together as a team. I told them how much it meant to me that they would work willingly with me on such a big, ugly job. Thankfully, I don't ge tthat behind very often. Wouldn't that be a bunch of boring FHE's?? I am grateful they will help work me out of a mess. They are the best kids ever.
Proof Owen was a stinker. He would grab the top piece of clothing off of someone's stack and run as fast as he could and throw it back into the laundry basket. Once he climbed in, we all worked fast to get the piles pf clothes put away. He thought he was so funny.
Owen went right to bed and the kids enjoyed extra big ice cream sundaes outside on our new table. It was a perfect night. I am blessed to have these kids on my team.
5 comments:
Oh man, this was great! I'm glad you did it and that you posted about it, too. This is the stuff life is made of.
Yaaay! Success! Good job guys!
You have a great team... : )
You really do have such great kids!!
I hate folding and the kids always dump their clothes on the floor before they put them away so now each kid has a basket with their name on it and when the clothes are dry I don't fold them I put their clothes in their baskets and then they fold and put away their stuff. It has worked out so much better and I can actually get through the laundry. Now if I could figure out a system for folding socks. I hate that!
Major 'like' and 'heart' (facebook/pinterest)
Post a Comment