Sunday, September 22, 2013

Promptings and a Program

I've known for a few weeks (at least) that I needed new front tires on my van. Keeping track of vehicle issues is not one of my strengths. I kept thinking I'd get it done in 'a couple days' and would then push the thought away. It would show up on my radar again randomly late at night when I couldn't follow through. Frustrating to say the least.

Friday I was delivering kids to play with friends when I blew a tire. Sadly, I wasn't even surprised. I was more sheepish than anything because I'd ignored/put off one too many promptings about those dang tires. Thankfully, I wasn't on the freeway and was at a manageable speed to pull to the side of the road without feeling scared or freaked out. I had the three youngest kids with me and most of all, I'm grateful we were safe.

I put my hazards on and got out to access the damage. Dane and Reed popped right out to see what was up with our car. In my head I went through the list of people I could call for help mentally checking off those I knew were busy. I told Dane and Reed we needed to come close to the van and say a prayer. It was answered almost immediately.

Please ignore the filthy hubcap, wow.
A man riding his bike along the bike path rode up about a minute later. I hadn't even had time to decide who to call. He stopped and offered to help put on the spare tire. What a good Samaritan. While he was changing the tire another pickup (with two guys in it) stopped asking if they could help. We were along a busy road with no shoulder to pull off of out of the way so he kept his truck parked a little ways back from us to protect my van from the traffic. It's a busy road and the speed limit is 45 and typically, cares are going faster. He told me he would stay there until we were ready to drive away. So kind.

I dropped Reed off, took Dane to his friend's house, took Kat and Owen home (Nate was already at his friend's house) and went to buy a tire. I stopped at Les Schwab knowing I might not get a tire there because it was probably out of my price range. Still, I felt like I should go there first. I explained to the employee that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a tire because my van wont be driving another 60k miles, ha. Anyway he said he'd check and see if they had a used tire in the back. They did. Mounted, balanced and put on would amount to $46. Can you believe it? I almost cried right there in the tire store. Instead I ate popcorn and smiled for the huge amount of blessings sent my way on a Friday afternoon.

I am so grateful for answered prayers. Sometimes the Lord does see fit to answer our prayers right away. He certainly answered mine right away regarding a blown out tire. More than once, actually. It was a pretty humbling experience for me. I know I should have had my tires changed sooner and kept ignoring those thoughts. Couple more days I would say. This became another lesson to not ignore promptings (even those related to my vehicle).

Today was our ward Primary Program. I was full of tears. Full of them. It was also our last week as a ridiculously huge ward (part of the tear issue). I'm going to miss that overflowing ward so much. But then again, maybe I wont. Maybe more good things are to come with our new boundaries and I'll wonder why I was ever full of tears. Funny how that works.

 I started warning the kids after breakfast that we'd be taking our traditional program day picture. Owen was sitting on this little table by our window and I thought he just might cooperate for pictures once we went outside. Wrong. The answer was no, he wouldn't cooperate. Good thing this one turned out cute.

Aren't they cute?? Reed is killing me in that suit coat. Owen bawled his eyes out in almost every picture. In fact, he almost looks happy here. We figured out (right after this picture) that he wanted the fence closed behind us. How were we to know??

I love these boys so much. They were the only three in the program (our bench was quite uneventful without them fighting to sit next to me all of sacrament meeting). Our chorister is a music major and she had the kids sing a few of the songs arranged differently. They sounded amazing. What choir of little kids wouldn't with over 100 kids singing? 

They sang some of my very favorite songs- If the Savior Stood Beside Me, We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet, My Heavenly Father Loves Me, A Child's Prayer (with the teachers singing the second verse-amazing), Families Can Be Together Forever and I am a Child of God (I love the new fourth verse). I doubt I'll ever see my kids be involved in such a big program again. It was some of the best music and directing I have ever heard. Hats off to those that worked so hard to pull it off. The spirit literally filled the room. I loved today, even through my tears.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Not only was that a lesson to not ignore promptings, but it was also a lesson in how merciful the Lord is--even when we fall short in our obedience. Have a great week!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Ohhhhh man. That picture of the three boys is wonderful! I'll bet that program was incredible.

I love your tire story and Amy's comments about it.

I'm glad you got popcorn. It makes anything better.

So grateful for your example.

Jill said...

This is such a great story/lesson and I am so, so happy that it ended well for you and your family! I think the Lord was showing you how mindful he is us you and that he didn't want to give you one more thing! What a great way to teach your kids about promptings as well.

The photos of the kids are darling even thought Owen didn't cooperate.

Kristin said...

That tire blow out was scary and I wasn't there. Its such a busy road. Love the picture of the boys. I love that you've kept up the tradition of taking a picture at each primary program.

Chandra said...

I am so glad I read your blog today. I teach seminary in the morning and we are starting 2 Nephi when Lehi is giving his final counsel to his sons. He reminds them that even though they had afflictions there were tender mercies from the Lord. I hope it's okay if I share you story about the tire. It helps the students to grasp a concept when they have stories that are happening today. I am so glad that all of you were safe. He sent you many tender mercies that day. He is watching over you and your family Mel. Love you all.